Saturday, June 1, 2013

Quilling Strips Storage

Lately, I've gotten into quilling.  I've shared some of my creations at Frosty FestivitiesStar Ornament, and Quilled Word.

For my quilling, I use scrap paper and cut my strips myself.  I knew I needed a way to store my quilling strips, so I designed and made a storage box.


With this, I can keep my colors separated easily.  It has 28 compartments, and it's very easy to get my chosen color out of.  All I have to do is slide my finger inside and pull the compartment totally out. Or just leave it on it's side and slide a strip or two out at a time.









This was my former storage.  Convenient for on-the-go, but not organized at all.  And very hard to work out of.












The box frame is just a chosen cereal box. First, I cut the top off. Since I was using regular paper width, the box was still too tall, so I cut about two inches off the top

















Using scrap paper, I cut 3½" strips (width-wise).










My paper cutter has ½" scoring lines.  Using those, I scored at ½, 1, ½, 1, and ½.  I came back and followed the lines using a black marker so you can see them.











I then folded on those lines to create a rectangle. The two outside edges glue together.  This is the same technique I used on the Quilled Word Frame.














I kept making these until I filled the box.  It took 28.













This is my pile of scrap papers waiting to be cut into strips.  I've been collecting them all through the school year.

Best trash ever!










A few strips cut and sorted into colors.
















I thought I would make the box more presentable so I just wrapped it with a scrap piece of wrapping paper.










Another project finished and totally made with recycling materials.  Whadaya think?

20 comments:

  1. Greta idea, love it! Now following you from the Aloha hop, would love a follow back :).

    http://cumminslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn. I am now following you. Love all the giveaways you have!

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie,

    This looks like a wonderful way
    to stay organized. Thanks
    for sharing with us.

    Bear Hugs,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by Carolyn.

      Delete
  3. Great idea...I've never tried quilling. One day! :)

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the URL, Julie! Now I can go ahead and pin it to my quillers site here!! Helen Pierce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the interest Helen. I'm now following your pinterest boards.

      Delete
  5. Great idea to get organised. Im definitely trying it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found this by accident, looking for a way to store my quilling paper. See you are in TN. Are you going to NAQGCON this year in Nashville?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found me, even if it was by accident. I hope you liked the tutorial. No, I won't be attending that. I no longer live in Tn, but am now in FL. I guess I need to update.

      Delete
    2. Going to try to make this I need it desperately!!

      Delete
    3. I did too. It's perfect for me.

      Delete
  7. Simply great idea! And it's a DIY - so not a fortune to make it! THANKS!! You solved a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exactly what I was hoping to find! Thank you so much for sharing. My strips are getting tangled and hard to use. Will be trying this tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazydavid32 here I too am new to the art of quilling. I have been struggling with how to store over 100 colors of my own cut paper. This is an excellent example of creativity and recycle repurposing. I am so grateful you shared it.

      Delete